Friday, June 14, 2013

Your outside will match what's inside. Are you prepared?

One of my main goals in life is to become stronger. Physically, Mentally, Emotionally, Spiritually. While checking out my favorite channels on youtube, I came across a video by Elliot Hulse that intrigued me, and I wanted to share it with you. beware, the language is not exactly g rated, but the message is soooo worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri2sQHHBkj4

I've had an issue since I was very young. I would get pigeon holed, painted with a broad brush, judged to be a certain thing, or a certain way. It happens to everyone in high school. just watch an old John Hughes film. There's the jock, the sporto, the ladies man, the bookworm, the slacker, on and on and on. In movies, it works. The authors job is to create a character, and so it goes.

In life, it shouldn't be that way, everyone should be given the opportunity to try something new, to act out of pattern, to do something no one expected. I think in part because of our movie soaked culture, but also in our most basic need to fit in in a particular way, we have a strong need to label people. for one reason or another. Some people want you to be fodder for their jokes, some want you to help them with their homework, some want to see you succeed, some want to see you fail, some just want a ride to school.

As we grow and change, these labels manifest themselves in the way we dress, the way we walk, the way we talk, the decisions we make, the car we buy, the mate we choose, the food we eat. Everything we do is guided by how others perceive us.

It is not until we attempt to change that we realize how deep this goes. Think about it. Go for a long walk alone sometime, or turn the radio off and drive in silence, or go on long a motorcycle ride. Think about who you are, what you do, and how you do it. Begin to see if there is anything in your life you would like to change. Pick one thing. Maybe it's quitting coffee, maybe it's beginning an exercise plan, maybe it's to eat more healthy foods, maybe it's volunteering at a soup kitchen.

Whatever it is, go for it, and stick to it for a month. Mark your calendar, and say I am going to do this one thing once a day/week/... for a month. Then do it for another month. See what changes it brings to your life. See if people look at you differently, see if co-workers react differently, most of all, see if it changes something in you. see if it makes you feel better. If it does, keep it up. If you honestly notice no difference, give it another month.

My point is, and you will see this if you take on my challenge to you, you will change, probably long before anyone notices. Your experience will change you. You may walk a little straighter, you may sleep a little better at night, you may have more energy, or be more engaged when speaking with your mate, your family, or friends. I expect after about a month or 2 you will notice those around you react differently to you. watch for it, it won't be a big change necessarily, but it will be there

Now for the hard part, will you be ready for the consequences? It takes a strong willed person to make a small change and commit to it. Not because the change takes willpower. Not because the change takes discipline, and dedication, not for any other reason than this: You will be treated differently. That is my 100% guarantee, you will be treated differently. You may lose friends, though your best friends will always find a way to make it work. Many will say things like "ha!, you're still trying to suffer through the day without coffee, huh? or taunt you - you know you want some, come on, have a cup... you will face many challenges once you have done this one new wonderful thing for yourself. So while you are doing this new thing that you are excited to do for yourself, be preparing yourself for the other changes in life they will bring.

This is where the change in you occurs. It's gradual, but people will begin to use words to describe you like "snob", "cocky", "self righteous"or even "strange" and phrases like "too good for us", taunt's like "oh, he doesn't eat fried food any more, 'cause it's baaaad, lol". be confident you have made the right choice. Stay strong, believe in yourself, and enjoy the new you. It's not easy, but this is what dad meant when he said "It builds character".

One last thing. There is a pot of gold at the end of this rainbow should you decide to take my challenge. You will also likely gain friends who share this new value, and even have other admirable attributes you would like to incorporate, thus taking you on a much easier journey through your next change in becoming stronger Physically, Mentally, Emotionally, Spiritually.

So I say to you, take the challenge, change one thing. Find that one thing you most want to do differently and go for it. The only journey anyone has ever regretted is the one they've gained nothing from, and I promise you have much to gain from this journey. enjoy the ride!


1 comment:

  1. When I lost weight on WW many years ago, I lost a few friends. I was told I had a "skinny b*tch" attitude by a "good friend" of mine who was angry for wearing a two piece bathing suit to the beach. (believe me, it was a modest suit)... I have to admit - it effected me, because one of the reasons (at the time) that I wanted to lose weight was to be accepted by society... and then to have "close friends" shun me was a huge disappointment. Mix in the uncomfortable way my platonic guy friends started treating me, it made it difficult to keep the weight off - the motivation I had to lose the weight (acceptance) was deteriorated.

    Now that I am older (and hopefully wiser) I now want health and wellness for ME - and I can accept not everyone accepting me... I've learned who I am authentically, and who my true friends and fans are.

    Lovely post Honey... keep writing - I love it.

    ReplyDelete